Installing solar panels for your home is a very sensible thing to do. Solar panels are a great resource with many benefits. People use solar panels all the time, but how do you do it? If you have never used solar panel systems before, it might be intimidating to try and learn.
Thankfully, we have plenty of experience when it comes to using solar panels, so we thought we would help. Let’s take a look at how to use them, what the costs are, as well as the benefits of using solar panels.
It is important to acknowledge that some of the different factors that influence how many solar panels you need to power the house include things like size and location. However, there are some general guidelines that usually fit the bill.
The typical one-bedroom house needs roughly six solar panels to power it.
The typical three-bedroom house needs 10 solar panels to power it.
The typical five-bedroom house needs 14 solar panels to power it.
The solar arrays that you have will generate roughly the same amount of electricity that each of these households would use in a single year. Naturally, this will vary according to criteria such as light levels and electricity usage.
The typical cost of solar panels for your home can vary depending on several factors. The size of the panel, the amount of power it can produce and your geographical location can all have a bearing.
In the US, you can expect to pay $11,000 on average for a single 5KW solar panel system. This is the average cost of solar panels for your home.
Naturally, these costs translate to similar amounts in the UK, Europe and beyond. It is important to note that you can get support for solar panels in the form of government schemes – there are many initiatives and relief systems for green energy.
The costs for installing a solar panel will vary too. While the panels themselves are similar regarding cost relative to output and size, the varying price comes in the form of installation, specifically labor costs.
Typically, you can expect to pay between $17,000 and $24,000 in 2022 for the installation of solar panels. This does take the federal solar tax credit into consideration, so the average cost is somewhere between $20,000 and $21,000.
As this can vary according to providers and laborers, it is worth investigating different options and seeing if any deals for bulk installation exist.
There are pros and cons for using solar panels on your home. While they are inherently a good idea, there are still considerations.
- Saving money on energy bills. Solar panels are a good way to save cash and keep costs down because they generate electricity you need.
- Sell electricity back. Whether you elect to sell surplus electricity back to your local authority or keep it for a winter season and avoid using your electricity otherwise, you save money.
- Shrinking carbon footprint. The average home uses a lot of fossil fuels to stay switched on throughout the year. Solar panels are a good way to shrink your carbon footprint.
- No noise. There is no noise pollution from a solar panel. This makes it better than other forms of electricity.
- Independence. You get a lot of independence from your electrical grid with solar panels. Even if it goes down, it doesn’t matter.
- Easy to scale. It is easy to scale your solar panel setup to meet the needs of your home, because you can add more so long as you have the space to do so.
- Little-to-no maintenance. There isn’t a lot of maintenance required in solar panels, because they are remarkably easy to keep clean and don’t break all that often.
- Financial support. You can get a lot of grants and schemes for things like solar panels because there are plenty of initiatives on offer.
- Expensive to install. In comparison to a lot of energy options, solar panels can cost a lot to both buy and install.
- Weather-related performances. The performance of a good solar panel is directly tied to the weather, making it difficult to use in cloudy or dark conditions.
- Not all roof types. Some types of roofs aren’t compatible with solar panels for one reason or another – making them unviable in some conditions.
- Big. A proper-sized solar panel can take up a lot of space which makes it difficult to justify using in many cases. Smaller properties may struggle with size.
- Longer ROI. It can take a while to generate enough electricity to make a solid return on investment.
So if you want some house solar panels, there are a few steps that you need to follow to start using them.
- Go and find the right solar panels for your home. As these panels all come in a range of different shapes, sizes and styles, it is important to make sure that you choose what is right for you in terms of output and scale. If you’re not sure, consult with a professional.
- Acquire the solar panels. It is important to remember that solar panels are not cheap to acquire, so you may find that you need to get them one at a time and slowly introduce the concept into your life. The cost of solar panels for home use can be high, so take a look at government initiatives.
- Look for installers. Once you have managed to buy solar panels for home use, you’ll want to take a look at installation. This is because trying to do this for yourself can be incredibly difficult and time-consuming, so getting a professional to handle it for you is the best way to guarantee success.
- Read a guide very carefully. If you insist on installing solar panels at home, you need to be very sure you know how to do it properly. There are numerous safety and technical concerns, so a full guide is recommended.
There are quite a few different solar panels out there – they all have something unique to offer and that’s what makes them such a good choice. However, there are plenty of great options that are easily accessible – here’s some of our top picks from Amazon:
This amazing solar panel provides a high amount of non-stop power with just a few hours of sunlight. It is meant to be used with the Ring Spotlight Cam Battery and Stick Up Cam Battery, and provides twice as much power as the original.
These amazing EL-tested solar panels are designed to offer no hot-spot heating. The design minimizes the risk of power drop, and the back sheet helps to guarantee a smooth performance over time.
There are plenty of great features to enjoy with this model. For example, people love the amazing conversion efficiency, foldable design, and durable construction. It’s a great portable design for life on the road.
This portable solar panel is designed for both charging portable power stations and other power sources, and comes with connections to fit most specifications. It is comparable with most tablets and smartphones, and is perfect for life on the go.
This amazing solar car battery charger is good for 12V batteries, and is flexible enough to serve in any condition. It is easily collapsible and simple to use, so it’s worth exploring. It works for cars, small trucks, boats, and most other vehicles.
Choosing the right kind of solar panel for your needs is very important. There are plenty of different solar panels out there, and they will offer a unique benefit.
Buying solar panels for home installation as possible, but it’s recommended you get a professional to do it for you. You won’t know how to safely install the panel without damaging it or running the risk of injuring yourself, so leading a professional handling is the best option. It might drive up the average cost for solar panels at home, but it means that the job gets done.
As you can see from some of the options we’ve taken a look at, you can purchase portable solar panels for home use, which means that you can take them down when you’re not using them or when you want to upgrade. They are a good temporary stopgap.
Home solar panels costs can be quite high. However, you shouldn’t let that put you off. The reality is that solar panels can be a good source of renewable energy. It might take you a while to see a return on your investment, but you will get back the money eventually and you may even be able to sell back surplus energy to the local area.